Search This Blog

Saturday, April 2, 2011

I couldn't get out of bed this morning, but, I am very sorry to hear about your hangnail

For about a year now, I have been dealing with some extreme and inexplicable pain, all over my body. Dr.'s made me feel as if I was  crazy. Their answer was exercise or take a multi vitamin. I did both.  Nothing helped. I took Advil, Tylenol, and stronger pain killers. Nothing helped.
The pain recently became almost debilitating. After several visits with different Dr.'s I finally found a Rheumatologist who asked all of the right questions. I told him all my past history with different problems that I won't go into, including the fact that I have NEVER slept well.  He came to the conclusion that I have Fibromyalgia. I laughed and told him I thought that was a fake disease. This is how most people feel about it.  But I liked this Dr. and I have a real peace about his treatment plan. He does not want to dope me up on pills, he wants to get to the root of the problem, which is most likely my sleeping habits.
What I want to tell you is that until you know the kind of pain that myself, and others like me, experience on nearly a daily basis, you shouldn't judge, as I did in the past.  I read up on the disease and everything, even stuff I have just learned to live with, is text book.
I hadn't thought too much about it until I had one of the worst pain days ever, yesterday. I realized things that we all take for granted.  It hurt just to stand, to drive, to get up! I could not even go to the tanning bed, because I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get up.  I couldn't let my kids sit in my lap, or even snuggle them while they slept last night.   You would not believe the exhaustion I experience and the smallest activity. Every little activity expends so much of my energy that by the end of the day, I can't enjoy my family. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't lay in bed writhing in pain everyday. I have had a lot of really good days, I have taken them for granted. I know yesterday was God's way of showing me that I need to make the most of the good days and not to push myself on the bad ones.
I know most of you think, "I thought you were fine."  Well, for most of my life, I have been made to feel as though feeling bad was a sign of weakness, and I just might be faking it. So, I learned to live with it. But, now, I know there is a reason for it. I am not just old, or fat, or out of shape.
Walk a mile in my flip flops, on a good day even, you'll see.--
I recently posted this to facebook because some people in my life seemed to not give a shit about what I was going through. I realized it was because they just didn't understand. I thought it would help, those certain people to stop telling me ,"Have you tried _____", well, no, I haven't thought of that, I like this horrible pain. My favorite was when people  want to compare their pain with mine. This is bullshit, I am sorry you have a hangnail, but I couldn't get out of bed this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment