Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2011

my thoughts, sort of.

Yesterday, my best friend, and I loaded up a 16 foot trailer, FULL of water, food, supplies and drove to one of the hardest hit areas of  Alabama.  Just two stay at home moms, a giant trailer, which I lovingly referred to as "THAT THING" and my husbands pickup truck.
God had lead us, we heard him lound and clear. We went to Hackleburg, AL. Before this week, we had never even heard of this town. The night before we left, we didn't really know where it was!!
I can express how it made me feel to load that trailer up, to collect those donations.  I was amazed by peoples kindness, by the strength that God have given us, by the calling and how clear His message was. 
I knew the whole way, that God was guiding that truck. That He had cleared that road. Because, let's face it, I am not the best driver. He helped us not "lose it" when we got to the site of the destruction.We picked up another friend of the family, whom I haven't seen in years.  He knew the area very well. See, God put him in that truck with us. I don't think we would have gone all the way into Hackleburg if he had not pushed us through.  When we found the spot to deliver supplies, I felt so blessed by the people accepting them. When we finished unloading, we didn't want to leave. We would have stayed, organized the whole thing, slept in a tent if we had to!
What I can't put into words is what we saw when we arrived.
7 years ago, my husband and I buried twins. God gave me strength to  get through that, and eventually, talk about it. That happened to ME. This storm, this destruction, didn't harm me, my friends, or family.  I have been crying off and on ever since we returned. I feel like that town is a part of me now. I want to go back. I want to help them clean up, to rebuild.  I pray for them, and all the victims.  I pray for the workers.
I hope soon, that I can talk about how it made me feel to see that,  I hope that I can sort oust exactly what these feelings are.

No comments:

Post a Comment